Tuesday, July 24, 2007

West Coast Road Trip: Day 2 (Portland)


You know it's a good thing when the coffee shop you stumble into is playing The Kinks rather than some generic garbage that one might hear at, say, Starbucks. The hostel that I'm staying in is right across the street from a wonderful little coffee shop called World Cup Coffee and Tea (no, it's not a soccer-themed sports cafe). Even better, just a block away is a quiet little park where I did some early morning reading. Couch Park is a fantastic place to simply relax, as I noticed many Portland dogs and their owners were doing. I'm already amazed at the pace of this city. Even though the neighborhood I'm staying in is about 5 times more dense than the Los Angeles neighborhood I live in, it seems about 10 times more laid back. The frenetic bustle of traffic and helicopters in Los Angeles is neatly replaced by the quiet rustle of the thousands of trees that reside here.
I've already met at least three folks staying at the hostel who are planning on moving to Portland. One of these guys actually lived in Los Angeles for several years so he and I traded some stories about what we liked and disliked about certain neighborhoods in L.A.
Anyway, I'm headed out now to a rose garden which overlooks the city, then to the waterfront park along the Wilmette River. Mas adelante...

No comments: