Monday, July 30, 2007

San Francisco (Day 8): Goin' back to California


So I finally made it to the last stop on my road trip vacation, the great city of San Francisco. The drive here was long, extremely tiresome, but not without it's rewards. I saw a minivan from Washington with a New York Mets license plate frame, a UHAUL van with a giant advertisement for Oneonta, NY (my hometown), the Newsboys' truck full of their gear (they were one of my favorite bands when I was a teenager), and an amazing sunset over Northern California.
Today so far has been fairly exhausting as well, not helped by the fact that I had to get up at 6am to move my car to avoid getting a parking ticket. After finding a great secret parking spot (invaluable information provided by a very helpful hostel staff), I took a bus down to the Haight-Ashbury district, then headed over to Golden-Gate Park, followed by another bus ride over to Coit Tower for an amazing view (of everything except the fog-covered Golden Gate Bridge, of course). This evening I think I'm going to head over to Oakland to check out the Oakland Coliseum and the A's. Detroit is in town and I don't really care who wins, but it'll be cool to check out the stadium.
By the way, as the hostel staff told me briefly about S.F., they mentioned the population was 750,000, a number that seemed all too familiar to me, although I couldn't quite place it. Well, during one of my bus rides today, as my mind wandered to thoughts of next week, it finally hit me. The number of students in the Los Angeles school district is equal to the population of San Francisco!!! Yikes... That should put a perspective on how monstrous LAUSD has become!

1 comment:

CNY Kitchen Mama said...

I looked at your San Fran pics-- GREAT shots!! Why am I not surprized that you checked out Amoeba in San Fran. Any different than the LA store?