Saturday, July 28, 2007

Seattle (Day 6): It's all about your attitude...


New York has its delis, Chicago has its pizza, Los Angeles has great Mexican food, and Seattle has, well, its coffee. I suppose it is alright to be elitist about something you do very well. And I guess it's just about the only city where you can walk into a Starbucks and still feel the pride of buying local. Having thus successfully avoided the chain so far, I grabbed an iced coffee from a local cafe after a full day of walking. After sleeping in until about 8:30, I headed downtown, whereupon I stumbled into a Steinway shop. For those of you know what item Steinway sells, you can understand why I was such a sucker and walked in. Anyway, the salesman was extremely friendly and offered me the opportunity to try out their finest model, whose selling price was....get this....$107,000!!!! Wow. It was probably the most expensive item I've ever touched! Later in the morning I boarded the Elliot Bay Ferry to Bainbridge Island, a small island across the bay from Seattle. The island was not terribly interesting, but the boat ride provided spectacular views of the city!!! Following that, I walked through Pioneer Square, Pike's Market, and Belltown. Right now, I'm pretty tired so I'm relaxing a bit before heading up to Volunteer Park for sunset tonight!

2 comments:

CNY Kitchen Mama said...

I'm printing this pic for Paul!!!

CNY Kitchen Mama said...

What on earth did you play on a $104,000 Steinway!? (chopsticks?, heart and soul?)jk :)