Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Walk This Way


Growing up, I remember that one of the things that my parents often did was to go for walks. Being a somewhat hyperactive child, and a slightly ADD teenager, I never really found too much interest in walking for either enjoyment or exercise until very recently, when the hustle and bustle of life (as well as my desire to engage in more physically demanding activities than driving my car) comes with an intensity and frequency that definitely merits the solitude and peace of an outdoor walk. In fact, my current neighborhood is actually wonderful for walking, especially in the evenings. Some days I wish I lived in a city where owning a car wasn't even necessary to survive!
What's interesting is that today I stumbled upon a website that actually measures how walkable a particular neighborhood is. In collaboration with Google Maps, Walk Score actually calculates a score (from 1-100) on just how walkable your neighborhood is. My current location (in Mid-City, Los Angeles) scores a 68 out of 100, which doesn't seem like much, but it is much greater than other places I've lived, which scored 49 (childhood home), 8 (teenage home), and 49 (college home).
Interested in your neighborhood's walk score? Check it out at www.walkscore.com.

No comments: