Monday, July 30, 2007

San Francisco (Day 8): The epitome of laziness


One of the biggest challenges of major league baseball executives has to be how to keep 30,000 fans (minus the 5,000 who have gone to the concession stand to buy beer) happy during the long breaks between innings in baseball games. One typical diversion is to stage a pseudo-race between cars, trucks, or even sausages. The fans will arbitrarily choose a racer of their choice and frantically cheer it on to victory (or helpless defeat). Anyway, this evening at the Oakland Coliseum, I had the opportunity to cheer on my choice of white, orange, or blue dots as they races around a race track. I know it's difficult to program computer animation for a stadium jumbo-tron, but dots??? C'mon! You could have at least tried! Not only this, but I was definitely watching baseball being played in what is truly a football stadium. My students would call this discrepancy "bootleg" (using less adolescent jargon, this term could be translated "makeshift", "substitute", etc...). Anyway, I had a great experience, even though the A's couldn't pull off a victory. And with that, my road trip is nearing completion and I leave for Los Angeles tomorrow morning! For as much fun as I've had this past week, I'm looking forward to being home and even looking forward a little to beginning planning for my kids this coming year!

Also, enjoy my final pictures from San Francisco here!

No comments: